Tamas Rada Petrovic, D.V.M., M.Sc. PhD
Head of Sector 10
Head of Virology department
Phone: 021 4895 321 / mob. 064 818 5410
Scopus Author ID: 7003451799 – https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=7003451799
ORCID iD: 0000-0002-9164-3356 – http://orcid.org/0000-0002-9164-3356
APVNT No: 1634
ID in Minsitry of Science (MESTD) of Serbia: 132390
Scientific field: Microbiology – virology and infectious diseases
Field of expertise: virology, molecular virology, vet epidemiology, vector-borne disease and zoonozes
Born: 1969, Becej, Republic of Serbia
Education: Graduated at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Belgrade, 1997, average grade: 9.03. Master thesis under the title “Investigating prevalence of infection caused by bovine virus diarrhea (BVD) in breeding cattle” in the field of contagious diseases and zoonosis defended on the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Belgrade in 2002. Doctoral dissertation under the title “Identification and genetic analysis of bovine viral diarrhea virus isolates on the territory of Republic of Serbia” in the field of contagious diseases and zoonosis defended on the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Belgrade in 2006.
- 1998 Research Trainee
- 2002 Research Assistant
- 2007 Research Associate
- 2011 Senior Research Associate
- 2016 Principal Research Fellow
Scientific and Research Work:
- Basic Research interest:
Veterinary virology, food and environmental virology, vector-borne infections, vaccine laboratory and clinical trials as well as prevention, diagnostic, control and eradication of contagious diseases and zoonosis.
- Main working and research activities:
- detection of animal viral diseases by classical laboratory methods (virus isolation, VN, ELISA, IH, AGID);
- propagation and grow of tissue cultures;
- detection of viruses by molecular diagnostic tests (PCR, RT-PCR, real-time PCR);
- prevention, control and eradication of contagious animal viral diseases and zoonosis;
- vaccine laboratory and clinical trials (including testing of potency, safety and sterility);
- detection of viruses in environment (environmental virology), in vectors and in wild animals,
- detection of viruses in food;
- molecular characterization of the viruses detected in animals, vectors, environment and food.
Published over 400 research and professional publications.
- International projects:
Participating in 11 international projects:
- “A European Network for Environmental and Food Virology – ENVIRONET” (COST Action from November 2006 – November 2010). MC member and WGs member. Web page: cost929-environet.org
- Integrated Monitoring and Control of Foodborne Viruses in European Food Supply Chains – VITAL (Grant agreement no.: 213178; FP7 collaborative project; from April 2008 – April 2011). Coordinator of the Serbian research team. Web page: http://eurovital.csl.gov.uk/
- „Understanding and combating porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome in Europe“ (COST FA0902 Action); Coordinator: dr Tahar Ait-Ali, University of Edinburgh, Roslin Institute, UK; (2009-2013). MC member and WGs member. Web page: europrrs.net
- “Flavirus Cross-Protection” – transnational access users short FP7 research project under Research Infrastructures action, grant agreement No. FP7-228394 (NADIR project); User & Coordinator: dr Tamas Petrovic, Scientific Veterinary Institute „Novi Sad“, Novi Sad, Serbia. Web page: http://www.nadir-project.eu/nadir_project
- „Towards Control of Avian Coronaviruses: Strategies for Diagnosis, Surveillance and Vaccination“ (COST Action FA1207); Coordinator: Dr Paul Britton, The Pirbright Institute, UK; (2013-2017). MC member and WGs member. Web page: http://www.cost.eu/domains_actions/fa/Actions/FA1207
- „European Network for Neglected Vectors and Vector-Borne Infections (EURNEGVEC)” (COST Action TD1303); Coordinator: Dr Andrei Mihalca, Universitatea de Stiinte Agricole si Medicina Veterinara Cluj-Napoca, Romania; (2013-2017). MC substitute member and WG member Web page: http://www.cost.eu/TD1303 ; http://www.eurnegvec.org
- “A European Network for Foodborne Parasites (Euro-FBP)” (COST Action FA1408); Coordinator: prof Lucy Robertson, Norges Miljo-Og Biovitenskaplige Universitet, Parasitology, Food Safety and Infection Biology, NMBU-Adamstuen CampusN-0033 Oslo, Norway (2015 – 2019). MC member and WGs member Web page: http://www.cost.eu/COST_Actions/fa/Actions/FA1408
- „Surveillance of invasive and native mosquito vectors and pathogens they transmit in Montenegro (LOVĆEN)“; HERIC project, Ministry of Science, Montenegro. Coordinator dr Igor Pajović, Biotechnical Faculty, Podgorica, Montenegro (2014 – 2016). External expert. http://www.heric.me/en/grant-lovcen/grant-lovcen ; http://project-lovcen.me/index.php
- „Understanding and combating African Swine Fever in Europe (ASF-STOP)“ (COST Action CA15116); Coordinator dr Dolores Gavier Widen, National Veterinary Institute, Uppsala Sweden (2016 –2020). MC member and WGs member. http://asf-stop.com/
- „Aedes Invasive Moquitoes (AIM)“ (COST Action CA17108); Coordinator dr Alessandra de la Torre, ISS, Rome, Italy, (2018 –2022 MC member and WGs member. Web page: http://www.aedescost.eu/
- ”Addressing the dual emerging threats of African Swine Fever and Lumpy Skin Disease in Europe (DEFEND)”, 2018 – 2023). Coordinator of the Serbian research team. https://defend2020.eu/about-us/our-partners/ ;
Coordinated 4 and participated in 5 bilateral projects:
- Harmonization and development of molecular methods for detection and characterization of some economically important animal viruses, Project No. 36, 2010-2011, conducted with NVI, Veterinary faculty, Ljubljana, Slovenia. Coordinator dr Tamas Petrovic
- Assessment of zoonotic viral activity in Serbia, Project No. 5, 2011-2012, conducted with Department of biotechnology, Instituto Nacional de Investigación y Tecnología Agraria y Alimentaria (INIA), Madrid, Spain. Coordinator dr Tamas Petrovic
- Detection and characterization of avian and other animal influenza viruses and avian paramyxoviruses – molecular methods harmonization and standardization, Project No. 69-00-80/2010-02, 2011-2012, conducted with Poultry Centre, Croatian Veterinary Institute, Zagreb, Croatia. Coordinator dr Sava Lazic.
- Schmallenberg virus emergence in Portugal and Serbia – SBVEPS, Project No: 451-03-1924/2016-09/10; 2018-2019. Project partner is Escola Superior Agrária – Instituto Politécnico de Viseu, Portugal. Coordinator dr Tamas Petrovic
- Development and standardization of diagnostic tests for detection of Lumpy skin disease, testing of the duration of maternal immunity and determination of the right time for vaccination of young animals. Project No: 451-03-02141/2017-09/07; 2018-2020. Project partner is Institut für veterinärmedizinische Untersuchungen (AGES), Medling, Vienna, Austria. Coordinator dr Tamas Petrovic
- National projects:
Participated in 20 national scientific and research projects:
- Projects of Ministry of Science and Technology of the Republic of Serbia
- Wild animal health monitoring and introduction of new biotechnology procedures in detection of infectious and zoonotic agents – risk analysis for human health, domestic and wild animal health and for environmental contamination; Project No: TR31084; Coordinator dr Tamas Petrovic (2011-2016).
- Biotechnology procedures in diagnostics of viral and bacterial infections, microbiological food contaminants and biological products in veterinary medicine Project No; 20115; Coordinator dr Sava Lazic (2008 – 2011).
- Pathology and detection of current animal diseases that could endanger public health; Project No ТR-20117; Coordinator dr Dusan Orlic (2008 – 2011).
- Development of technology procedures for establishment of the collection of pathogen microorganisms from animals and their isolation, typization, attestation and standardization Project No; ТR-6860B; Coordinator dr Sava Lazic (2005 – 2007).
- Development of technology procedures and programs for detection and control of contagious diseases of cattle, sheep and pigs; Project No ТR-6862B; Coordinator dr Branka Vidic (2005 – 2007).
- Technology procedures for control and eradication of bovine infective rhinotracheitis and contagious chicken anemia; Project No; BTR.5.05.4331.B; Coordinator dr Sava Lazic (2001 – 2004)
- Investigations in order to make improvement and protection of animal health and reproduction, safety of food of animal origin and feed safety – 12М15 (1996 – 2000).
- Project of Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Management – Veterinary Directorate
- Estimation of the prevalence of BVDV infection in dairy cattle on Southern Backa and Srem district and determination of present virus types and subtypes; Contract No: 401-00-13672/2006-05; Coordinator dr Tamas Petrovic (2006 – 2007)
- The prevalence and significance of circovirus infection in swine population in Vojvodina region; Contract No: 401-00-06731/2005-05; Coordinator MSc Radoslav Dosen (2006 – 2007)
- Epizootiology study, veterinary and selection control of boars for artificial insemination in reproductive centers and harmonization of clinical and laboratory practice with the EU countries; Contract No: 401-00-06729/2005-05; Coordinator dr Milovan Jovicin (2006 – 2007)
- Development and application of the program for eradication of bovine herpes virus type 1 infection; Contract No: 401-00-13687/2006-05; Coordinator dr Sava Lazic (2006 – 2007)
- The evaluation of vaccine efficiency against classical swine fever in controlled conditions; Contract No: 401-00-13700/2006-05; Coordinator dr Dragica Stojanovic (2006 – 2007)
- Estimation of the prevalence and health importance of equine arthritis, equine herpesvirus and equine infectious anemia; Contract No: 401-00-13685/2006-05; Coordinator dr Sava Lazic (2006 – 2007)
- The importance of avian influenza serology monitoring for prevention of the outbreaks and spread of the infection caused by highly pathogen avian influenza (HPAI) strains; Contract No: 401-00-13684/2006-05; Coordinator dr Dusan Orlic (2006 – 2007)
- Improvement of diagnostic procedures for detection of avian influenza and implementation of disease monitoring in Republic of Serbia on epizootiology area 1, 2, 3 and 11; Contract No: 401-00-06686/2005-05; Coordinator dr Dusan Orlic (2005 – 2006)
- Evaluation of the influence of swine viral infection on the occurrences of pneumonia caused by other etiological agents (Mycoplasma spp., Actinobacillus sp.); Contract No: 401-00-13699//2006-05; Coordinator MSc Radoslav Dosen (2006 – 2007)
- Project of Provincial Secretary for Science and Technological Development
- Typing of Avian and other Influenza Viruses by using Molecular Diagnostic Techniques; Contract No: 114-451-01542/2005-01; 114-451-02055/2006-01 and 114-451-001486/2007-02; Coordinator dr Sava Lazic; (2005-2006; 2006-2007; 2007 – 2008)
- Analysis of the implementation of control and eradication program of herpesvirus infection in breeding cattle herds; Contract No: 114-451-00960/2006-01; Coordinator dr Sava Lazic; (2007 – 2008)
- Development of the Programme for Prevention and Eradication of Herpesvirus Infection in Cattle Breeding Herds; Contract No: 114-451-00555/2005-01; Coordinator dr Sava Lazic; (2005-2006)
- The Project for Development and Improvement of Assembly Line Production of Fetal Calf Sera and Primary Cell Cultures According to the ATCC Standards; Contract No: 114-451-00809/2005-01; Coordinator dr Sava Lazic; (2005-2006)
- Training in molecular diagnostic technique
- Department of Virology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ljubljana, Slovenia in 2002, 2004 and 2006;
- Veterinary Science Division, DARDNI, Belfast, Northern Ireland, in 2003 under Reform of the Food Chain Laboratories (RFL) project;
- Virology laboratory VDL, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ames, Iowa, USA in 2006 and
- University of Veterinary Medicine, Kosice, Slovakia in 2007.
- Active participation in High Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) Diagnostic Training Course held on 15-19 May 2006 under organization of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- Training in classical and molecular virology techniques for detection and characterization of environmental and food viruses held between 25th of May and 8th of June 2007 in National Institute of Public Health and the Environment (RIVM), Bilthoven, The Netherlands
- FAO workshop “Laboratory Diagnosis of HPAI” held in Kraljevo Veterinary Institute, Kraljevo, Serbia (November 27-29, 2007)
- Active participation in Middle European training course: Application of molecular-genetic methods in veterinary diagnostic virology, held between 27th and 29th of May 2008 in Kosice, Slovak Republic, under organization of European Society of Veterinary Virology (ESVV) and Veterinary University of Kisice.
- PRRS Diagnostic Training School held in Zagreb, Croatia, 24 – 25 September 2012 under organization of COST FA0902 EuroPRRSnet project and Veterinary Institute Croatia.
- European Regional Training Course on “The Rapid and Confirmatory Diagnosis of Avian Influenza H7N9”, Vienna, Austria, 19-30 August 2013, under organization of the Joint FAO/IAEA Division for Nuclear Applications in Food and Agriculture, Vienna, Austria
- Active participation in PREDEMICS training course: Workshop on zoonotic features of viral infections: from the animal reservoir to pandemic emergence, held April 8th – 11th, 2014 in the National Institute for Infectious Diseases “L. Spallanzani” – Rome, Italy.
- Regional Training Course on “The nuclear and nuclear related techniques for early and rapid detection and confirmation of pox virus infection in animals”, Vienna, Austria, 15-19 August 2016, under organization of the Joint FAO/IAEA Division for Nuclear Applications in Food and Agriculture, Vienna, Austria.
- “Regional Workshop on Detection and Differentiation of Priority Vector Borne Disease (VBD) Pathogens in Animals and Animal Vectors (RER/5/023-EVT1802792)”, Lisbon, Portugal, from 06 to 12 of October 2018, under organization of the“Joint FAO/IAEA Division for Nuclear Applications in Food and Agriculture”, Vienna, Austria.
- “Regional Training Course on Advanced Techniques for Detection and Differentiation of Priority Vector Borne Diseases in Animals and Animal Vectors (TN-RER5023-1803021)”, Sarajevo, B&H, from 12 to 23 of November 2018, under organization of the“Joint FAO/IAEA Division for Nuclear Applications in Food and Agriculture”, Vienna, Austria.
- Since 1997 Laboratory for Virology, Scientific Veterinary Institute “Novi Sad”, Novi Sad
Expert and reviewer:
- Expert in the field of veterinary virology
- Expert in the field of veterinary molecular virology
- Expert in the field of veterinary vaccinology
- Editorial board member and reviewer of the international journal “Food and Environmental Virology”
- Editorial board member and reviewer of the international journal “Acta Veterinaria, Belgrade”
- Reviewer of the international journals “Vaccine” „Virus Research“ and in “Journal of Infectious Diseases in Developing Countries”
- Member of the ESF Pool of Peer Reviewers for research projects
- Reviewer of the Spanish national RTD projects (reviewer for ANEP – Spanish institution that manages the peer review assessment process for the evaluation of RTD grant applications submitted to the Spanish funding organizations
Participation at the Scientific Symposia:
- 27 international symposia
- 39 national symposia
Membership in Scientific and Professional Associations:
- Serbian Veterinary Association
- International Veterinary Biosafety Workgroup
- Society of Serbian Microbiologists
- European Society of Veterinary Virologist (ESVV) – Board member from 2015
- President of the Section for zoonoses of Serbian Veterinary Assotiation
- Academy of Veterinary Medicine of Serbia from 2014
- Principal Research Fellow, Director deputy for research, Head deputy of the Department of Virology, and national, bilateral and international scientific projects leader
Current Work Contact Details:
Tamas Petrovic, D.V.M. M.Sc. Ph.D.
Scientific Veterinary Institute “Novi Sad”
Rumenacki put 20
21000 Novi Sad
Fax: + 381 21 518 544
Phone: + 381 21 4895 321;
Mob: +381 64 818 5410