Name: Ms. Jelena Petrović, PhD, MSc, DVM
Principal Research Fellow
Contact: Scientific Veterinary Institute Novi Sad
Rumenački put 20, 21 000 Novi Sad, Serbia
381 21 4985-327 (work)
381 21 3895-344 (fax)
Scopus Author ID: 56577619300
ORCID iD: 0000-0001-5556-8558
ID broj istraživača MPNTR R. Srbije 130707
APVNT broj: 1633
Research area : food safety
Specialist area: food microbiology
Expertise area: food safety, foodborne pathogens, residue and contamiants, outbreak investigation.
Date and place of birth: 06.04.1971. Bajina Basta, Serbia
|2016||Specialist in Food Microbiology, University of Belgrade, Serbia, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine|
|2006||Ph.D. University of Belgrade, Serbia, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine|
Doctoral dissertation “Analysis of presence of residues and thermophile campylobacters in meat after treatment of chickens with fluoroquinolones
|2003||Veterinary Science Division, Belfast, Northern Ireland; Training in veterinary drug residues (two months) – screening methods|
|2001||M.Sc. University of Belgrade, Serbia; Faculty of Veterinary Medicine; Master studies in food hygieneMaster of Science thesis “Comparative analysis of antibiotic and sulphonamide residues in milk by enzyme, receptor- enzyme and inhibitive procedure|
|1997||DVM. University of Belgrade, Serbia; Faculty of Veterinary Medicine; Course for food hygiene and technology|
2018 Senior Researcher, SVI- N.Sad
2013 Senior Research Associate, Head of the Department for food examination, SVI- N.Sad
2007 Research Fellow; Head of the Department for food examination, SVI- N.Sad
2004 Head of the Department for food examination, SVI- N.Sad
2002 Research Assistant; Department for food examination, SVI- N.Sad
1997 Research Student, Department for food examination, Scientific Veterinary Institute Novi Sad – SVI- N.Sad
Research interest: Food safety.
Basic research interests focused on influence of primary production on food safety, dynamic of foodborne pathogen spread through food chain. Last for years were focused on game meat safety: fodborne parasites and bacteriological pathogens (Trichinella, Salmonella, Alaria alata, Toxoplasma) and surveillance of residues and contaminants in food (PAHs, pesticides, antimicrobial drugs, histamine).
- examination of food borne pathogens isolated from all stages of food production chain: wild animals, farm, food processing plants and retail (Salmonella spp., Campylobacter spp., Listeria spp., etc )
- examination of microbiological parameters which define hygienic acceptability of processes
- foodborne parasites diagnostics, epidemiology, surveilance: Trichinella, Toxoplasma, fish parasites Anisakis, Eustrongylides
- surveillance of residues and contaminants in food (PAHs, pesticides, antimicrobial drugs, histamine)
- food borne outbreak investigations
- examination of the influence of veterinary drugs, residues and contaminants on food safety
- training of veterinarians and farmers in food safety area: food borne pathogens, hygiene parameters and prerequisite programs at primary production level, influence of veterinary drugs on food safety, food composition and benefits for consumers
- 20 scientific projects for The Ministry of science, Ministry of Agriculture of Serbia.
Leader on projects:
- Monitoring of the prevalence of resistant zoonotic bacteria on broiler carcasses in abattoirs, The Ministry of science of Serbia Contract No. 104-00-6733/2005-05.
- Monitoring of the prevalence of resistant zoonotic bacteria on pig carcasses in abattoirs. The Ministry of science of Serbia Contract No. 401-00-13675/2006-05..
- Development of generic model for food safety in farm breeding of animals. The Ministry of Agriculture of Serbia Contract No 114-451-00524/2007-03
- Microbiological (Campylobacter) risk assessment and management in poultry meat production chain The Ministry of science of Serbia Bilateral research project between Republic of Serbia and Republic of Slovenia. No. 69-00-02/2009-01/10.
- „Feed for Health“ (COST Action FA0802 from December 2008 to December 2012)
- COST Action ES1103. „Microbial ecology & the earth system: collaborating for insight and success with the new generation of sequencing tools“. 28.10.2011. – 27.10.2015.
- COST Action FA1408. „European Network for Foodborne Parasites (Euro-FBP)“. 30/03/2015- 29/03/2019 .
Research papers: over 120 articles in international and national journals, presentations on national and international meetings, author of one monography, coauthor in four
Publications: most important
- Јelena Petrović, Živoslav Grgić, Ivan Pušić, Miroslav Urošević. Sylvatic trichinelosis in the Vojvodina region (Serbia). In Trends in game meat hygiene: From forest to fork by P. Paulsen, A. Bauer, FJM Smulders. Wageningen Academic Publishers ISBN 978-90-8686-238-2 DOI: 10.3920/978-90-8686-790-5; pP 175-182; 2014
- Jovan Mirceta, Jelena Petrovic, Milos Malesevic, Bojan Blagojevic, Dragan Antic. Assessment of microbial carcass contamination of hunted wild boars. European Journal of Wildlife Research 2017 DOI 10.1007/s10344-017-1096-3 (Impact Factor =1.403)
- Nikolina J. Novakov, Željko A. Mihaljev, Brankica D. Kartalović, Bojan J. Blagojević, Jelena M. Petrović, Miroslav A. Ćirković. Heavy metals and PAHs in canned fish supplies on the Serbian market. Food Additives & Contaminants: Part B Surveillance. Received 11 Nov 2016, Accepted 17 Apr 2017, Accepted author version posted online: 20 Apr 2017. DOI: 10.1080/19393210.2017.1322150. (Impact Factor =1.467)
- Petrović J., Babić J., Jakšić S., Kartalović B., Ljubojević D., Ćirković M.: Fish Product-Borne Histamine Intoxication Outbreak and Survey of Imported Fish and Fish Products in Serbia. Journal of Food Protection, ISSN 0362-028X, 79(1):90-94, 2016 (Impact Factor=1.609)
- Brankica Kartalović, Nikolina J. Novakov, Željko Mihaljev, Jelena Petrović, Nadežda Prica, Jelena Babić, and Miroslav A. Ćirković. Organochlorine pesticides in canned tuna and sardines on the Serbian market. Food Additives & Contaminants: Part B ISSN 1939-3210, 9(4):299-304, 2016 http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19393210.2016.1234004. (Impact Factor =1.467)
- M. Malešević, F. J. M. Smulders, J. Petrović, J. Mirčeta und P. Paulsen. Alaria alata mesocercariae in wild boars (Sus scrofa) in northern Serbia after the flood disaster of 2014. Wiener Tierärztliche Monatsschrift, ISSN 0043-535x, 103(11-12):345-349, 2016, (Impact Factor =0.717)
- Petrović J., Katić V., Bugarski D.: Comparative Examination of the Analysis of ß-Lactam Antibiotic Residues in Milk by Enzyme, Receptor-Enzyme, and Inhibition Procedures. Food Analitycal Methods, 1:119-125, 2008. M23 3.0
Professional Memberships: Serbian Society of Veterinarians, Serbian Society for Microbiology, Serbian society for Parasitology, Commision for national standards КS E034-6: Meat, poultry, fish, eggs and their products.
Trainings: 27 national and international training in food safety area and acreditation of microbiological and parasitological laboratories